Tuesday, July 8, 2008

The Question

As I continue on my quest to find the 'perfect' Major/career for me, I came across an idea. The idea came to me while I was filling out the "How to Find the Perfect Major" workbook. I realized that all I was doing, filling out the interest surveys and personality trait surveys, was making a priority list....what is the most important aspect of anything and everything in your life now and how does it make you feel.
In all of the surveys I see that I lead towards community service and working with people. I hate working with my hands but I love to think creatively. Something that sets me apart from my peers is that I have wonderful opportunities to express myself through music. I love the release that playing the piano for a few hours gives me after a long day at school. I love that, by playing, I can turn my mother's day right-side up again. Lately I have begun playing the piano more for others instead for myself. I don't know if that is a good revelation or just a fact of life.
Then, last night, I was watching Robin Williams in Man of the Year, probably one of my favorite comedies and, all of a sudden, I realized how many things in this world need to be fixed. Our political system is corrupt and full of interest- leading lobbyist who could care a rats tail what the normal American thinks about the economy....we're at war, no matter how you slice the reason....many people in the world hate America, a land once known as a place of opportunity....gas prices are reaching towards the 5 dollar mark and there is NO excuse for that! There are starving children right here at home, parts of New Orleans and the surrounding area have yet to be rebuilt since Katrina. People here in the Midwest recently went through a flood season with record rainfall. 20 counties in Wisconsin alone have been named Federal Disaster Areas due to flood waters. Lake Michigan has toxic algea that is causing strain on the lakes.....

I could go on forever with all the bad that this world holds. BUT,... there are always 2 good aspects of life for every 1 bad aspect. This ranting just made me realize that every one of us has a purpose in life....to leave the world around us a little better than how we came into it. Maybe I will do that through music, through politics, through writing...I don't know. But I will find out sooner or later. Thanks for reading all the way down here!

No comments: